Monday, June 4, 2012

Worried!

My eyes are starting to make me very worried!

Friday I missed work because when I woke up my vision "went out" - black spots - whenever I stood up - and it was accompanied by pain in my eyes and a circular pain around my head - like if you are wearing a hat that is much too tight.  And I would get a stream from my neck up into my head of "emptiness."  I'm not sure how to describe it.  It was a lack of concentration; a fatigue feeling; a sense of emptiness in my head (and I mean physically - not an emotionally feeling).  And this continued all day, every time I stood up - once I sat down it would pass and I would be ok.  And as the day progressed the severity decreased until by the end of the day it pretty much stopped.  Granted I also slept - a lot.  I slept in until about noon.  And then went back to bed for a nap about 4 until 6ish.

Saturday morning I experience the same thing again mildly, but it quickly passed.

Saturday night, I talked to a neighbor who is an eye doctor and asked to picked his brain.  He said this does sound like it could be an aura, but the only when standing up - could also have to do with low blood sugar and asked if I had been eating much.  Well, taking Friday as an example - that answer is clearly no, not with all the sleeping I was doing!

Sunday morning I wake up and it is even worse than Friday - when I first get up it is about the same as Friday, black spots.  I sit down and get a large glass of juice and a large glass of water.  If it's low blood sugar or dehydration I'm going to beat it!  After a glass and a half of juice and a an English muffin with cream cheese and jelly - I am already fatigued and go back to bed.  I get up about 2 hours later.  I go out to the dining/living room to visit with my aunt and cousin and they offer me a bagel.  I take my glass and my plate and suddenly my vision is completely gone - I can see nothing.  It is black and purple.  It is like you are in the light and suddenly someone turns off all the lights and it it pitch dark.  And at this point I do get slightly dizzy.  My eyes hurt.  My head in that same circle like a tight hat hurts.  My mother comes over and takes the things out of my hands.  I had put my forarms on the two backs of the chairs in front of me to hold myself in place.  She offers to take me back to bed and I say no just let me be.  In a few moments I can make out the shape of the arm of the couch and I make my way to it.

Over the next 5 to 10 minutes, I get my vision back.  First it is shapes - I see the shape of the TV and the TV stand.  The shape of the couch across from me.  The shapes of the window.  And then colors start to come back.  The first color was the dark brown TV stand and then others.  The last color to come back was the color of the sky.  When all the other colors were back, it was still a very bright bright white, but I couldn't make out the distinguishing colors of the sky - the clouds, where the leaves on the trees actually ended and the sky began (think in the movies how they portray the "bright light" or when God or Jesus appears and it is just a that STARK white - this is literally what I was seeing).

I have my new neurologist's appointment Tuesday and I called my eye doctor and was able to get in on Wednesday (just to cover my bases).  So hopefully we may be closer to some answers (or at least elimintating some things).  Up until this weekend I was (perhaps naivelly) convincing myself it was definitely an aura and migraine related because I don't want any more problems.  It's scary to think I have more issues and more problems to think about (especially if it's blood sugar related!), but I'll hopefully know more in the next 72 hours!

In more normal news - I woke up with a plain old normal migraine this morning.... I guess normal is better than everything else at this point.  Is it bad I'm excited about that???

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, Kelly! I've had to see a neurologist too for weird aura-like things, though nothing as scary as totally losing my vision. I hope they figure it out.
    -Andi

    ReplyDelete