Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Officially not Auras

Had my doctor's appointment with my new neurologist on June 5th (I know I'm a little late on this).  But we talked about many things - my migraines, my vision problems, and my neck pain.  We are going to try to slowly change my preventative medications to help with my migraines (since my previous neurologist didn't ever try changing the medications when it didn't work anymore).  He also does not do botox, so if I get to the point that I definitely need that and no other medication will work - I will have to go back to my first neurologist or find another neurologist.

About my vision problems - he said they are definitely NOT auras.  He said it sounds like they are related to low blood pressure, which is usually caused by one of three things: medications, old age, or something else I can't remember, but he said that none of those seemed to apply to me.  He did try taking my blood pressure laying down, sitting, and standing - and as one would expect there was some slight change, but nothing out of the ordinary (granted at that time my vision was fine).  Also to note, my blood pressure is normally lower (but not too low considering my "petite size" as he put it), so it probably wouldn't take much to drop it to a level that would cause the vision disturbances.  He told me that if it happens to lay down or sit down and put my head between my knees and keep track of the occurances and we would look over it again at our next appointment on July 5th. I have been doing some additional reading on pain managment and did find out that 2 of the medications I am on can cause lower blood pressure. It doesn't say in what dosage or how much lower. So it is possible that since mine is already lower than average, that it could possibly have to do with one or both of those. Since my appointment, I haven't had nearly the severity of the attacks like before.  Sure, a few times I've stood up and for a few seconds had a few dark spots, but I think most people experience that occassionaly - like when you stand up too fast. 

Lastly my neck, he was going to get a copy of the actual images to look at himself, but he said that from where the bulging disc is - he would expect that if it would have any effect on me it would be in the lower body - legs, feet, toes, bladder, etc. and I don't have any problems with that.  He said it may have some residual pain which may be what I am experiencing, but it definitely is not causing the migraines.  I stopped seeing the physical therapist because I honestly didn't feel it was helping me (at least not worth the time and money I was putting in).  Again from my reading, everything recommends active P.T. (where I am involved and doing something and have exercised to do everyday) vs. passive P.T. (where the therapist does everything to you).  I still have been seeing the chiropractor/acupuncturist.  And I have started mild weight training.  And for about the last week, my neck and back have hardly bothered me at all (except for the night of the storms, but that's an exception).  I'm starting to wonder if the Botox didn't actually CAUSE the neck pain and once it was out of my system, I'm back to my normal usually not in pain self!  It's a theory at this point; a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment