Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Gotta Start Somewhere

I have been suffering from migraines since Junior Year of High school.  (I'm now 26.)  I distinctly remember I would get them during 7th hour Physics and they would last 24 hours - until 7th hour Physics the next day.  I would come home and my parents would see "the look" and I wouldn't have to say anything - they would know.  I would go up to bed - usually sleep all night.  Over the years the patterns have changed.  For a while in college I would actually vomit from them.  Happily this has not happened for a few years although I do still get nauseous.
Last February (2010) I started seeing  neurologist for them for the first time because my absenteeism from work was starting to affect my job.  I am on preventative medication.  He wants me to keep a food diary because he strongly believes I have food triggers.  I am less convinced - and have been avoiding this for over a year now.  I work full time, have a 1st grader, my boyfriend has a 3 1/2 year old we have 4 days - I just don't see how writing down every food I put in my mouth fits into my schedule.  However after a year and a half I am finally relenting and going to make an honest effort at making some real changes to try to take control over my migraines.
My dad had migraines when he was younger and he did outgrow them!  So I'm crossing my fingers that one day... but until then I don't want to continue to suffer!
I have been seeing a chiropractor and massage therapist fairly reguarly (at least monthly) and I do notice that the more consistantly I see them, the better my head is.  I have known for years that I hold a lot of my stress in my upper back, shoulders and neck and when those get too tight - my migraines start.  So I do know that a trigger for my migraines is body related (one reason I am hesitant with the food diary).  I also know they can be related by the weather.
My boyfriend used to be a physical thearpist assistant, so he has been helping me with some stretches and exercised to keep those muscles loose also.  I have been doing them a few times, but need to be consistant with doing those every day.  About 2 weeks ago he helped me make the realization that Junior Year was when I stopped playing High School sports (when I stopped consistantly working out all the time) - so I need to make it a priority to start a regular workout routine. 
I need to find an easy way to start recording everything - and that is the most daunting task for me.  Because without that I am not going to be able to find out what is or is not working.  So making changes won't be helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment